Exploring NYC

This time last year, I was wandering around New York City in the hot and humid summer. So grateful I have been able to stay at a friend's cute apartment around the Hells Kitchen area in Manhattan, caught up with my high school friend who I haven't seen for over 15 years and met up with this cool lady Jennifer Young (we met online through blogging back in the day). To all of you friends, thank you for the very warm welcome and taking me around your big city. 

As I was going through my photos it just brought me back to all the fun memories as I was exploring the streets, the food, art and culture and parks. Here are some highlight shots.

A photogenic cafe across the Grand Central Station

The Grand Central Station is really grand. I also got excited about eating Shake Shack at their food court downstairs.

The iconic Flatiron Building. Very New York.

Vintage American stuff

The Halal Guys. Best street food ever, so tasty and so cheap.

The famous Katz's Deli. Since 1888 apparently. I wish they have a branch in Sydney!

Inside Katz's Deli

The Oculus at World Trade Center. I remember I was there when it was the first day of Westfield opened and they gave out freebies. I scored some free popsicle, fairy floss and a glass of champagne LOL.

Checking out Smorgasburg, unfortunately I was there on a weekday so they didn't have the open market then. Pretty cool area though.

Another one from where I had lunch at Smorgasburg.

The Empire State building viewed from Top of The Rock. A little tip from me as an Asian tourist: go during sunset time and stay until dark so you get all to see daylight, sunset and night view!

Viewing Central Park from Top of The Rock

Artists & Fleas market at Williamsburg

Random art wall from some cafe in Brooklyn

One other highlight that I would recommend to people who are going to NYC is to go see Sleep No More. From what I heard the details of the sets were much much better 5 - 6 years ago when they just released the play than what it is today. I guess some details on the sets might have gotten old and lost over time and as they've gotten so famous and there are so many people going and the downfall for me was the fact that there were too many spectators for the play so when you were at the back you might not get to see much. But for me personally, this was one of the coolest theatrical experience that I've ever gone to, the production sets are still exceptionally amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Thanks NYC for all the fun and also the back pain I got from walking too much (and not wearing proper shoes). Loving all the amazing food, cool little bars, shopping, markets, all the art and culture and the green and calming Central Park.

Comments